Spicy hamburger soup
Its cold as hell here in Michigan, so I made up a big pot of soup today. My mom always called it iron ore stew, not sure where the name came from, but it's just a hamburger vegetable soup with a tomato base.
- 1lb ground beef
- 4 carrots, peeled and chopped
- 1 large potato, peeled and cut into bite sized chunks (more if you like, I don't like a lot of potato in my soups)
- 1 sweet onion, half minced, half chopped
- 1 green pepper, half minced, half chopped
- 2 tsp garlic powder
- 1 tsp Onion powder
- 1 tsp dried oregano
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1/2 tsp pepper
- 1/4 tsp chili powder (more if you can stand it, I'm a wimp so I don't use much)
- 3 small cans tomato soup
- 3 cans water
- Sauteed the minced onions and peppers, and add the ground beef. Brown the meat, drain, and rinse.
- Peel and chop your potatoes and carrots if you havent already done that. Add them to a soup pot with the ground beef and the chopped peppers and onions.
- Add the seasonings, soup and water and stir to mix well.
- Bring to a boil and then reduce heat to a medium/low and simmer, stirring occasionally, for 20-30 minutes or until potatoes are tender.
- Optional- toward the end, add some frozen veggies, I usually throw in corn and green beans, my mom always made it with just the potatoes and carrots. Occasionally she would add noodles.