Vietnamese Caramel Beef
If you would like to have steak without the standard gravy, Pepper or Diane type sauces, try this Vietnamese Caramel Beef recipe for a wonderful variation. The fish sauce, lime juice and brown sugar all combine beautifully to create a slightly sweet and sticky sauce to complement the steak. Served with both rice and lettuce and you have a great easy to make meal. All cooked in a wok make it super easy to make and little cleanup afterwards.
• 1 tbsp Peanut Oil
• 600 g Beef Fillet use prime beef such as scotch fillet, cut into bite size pieces
• 3 cloves Garlic crushed
• 1 tbsp Ground Ginger
• 1 Red Onion sliced
• 1/2 cup Brown Sugar firmly packed
• 1/4 cup water
• 2 tbsp Fish Sauce
• 1 tbsp Lime Juice
• 1 Long Red Chilli thinly sliced
• 1/4 cup Coriander
• Jasmine Rice to serve
• Lettuce Leaves to serve, use butter lettuce leaves or cos lettuce
1. Heat oil in wok over high heat.
2. Add beef and cook until browned, while stirring regularly. About 6-7 minutes
3. Add garlic, ginger and onion and cook for 1 minute until fragrant. Transfer to a bowl and set aside.
4. Reduce heat to low and add sugar and water to the wok and stir until the sugar dissolves.
5. Increase heat to medium and cook until mixture thickens. About 4-5 minutes.
6. Add fish sauce and lime juice to wok and cook a further 2 minutes.
7. Return beef mixture to the wok and cook for 2 minutes or until heated through.
8. Sprinkle with chilli and coriander and serve with rice and lettuce