Cajun Cabbage Rolls
Its that time of year where I really look forward to some good cabbage rolls! Fortunately for me my wife and my mother's recipe are very similar. This is what I consider the best of both recipes! I hope you enjoy them.
Momma's Cabbage Rolls
- Tomato Sauce – 70 ounces
- Tomato Paste – small can (around 6 ounces)
- 3 cans of Rotel (I use 2 cans of hot and 1 original)
- Ground Beef – 3 pounds divided
- 2 Eggs
- 2 cups uncooked rice
- 1 large onion diced
- 1/2 bell pepper diced
- 1 stalk of celery diced
- 2 fresh whole tomatoes diced You can substitute the vegetables with frozen
- 2 heads of cabbage
- Nunus Cajun Seasoning – start with a 1/2 cup for a pot this size. Season to taste before serving.
- Mix 2 – 2.5 pounds of ground beef, eggs, 1 cup of the mixed vegetables, and uncooked rice in a large mixing bowl
- Add tomato sauce, paste, and rotel to a large pot. Add fill each can with water and add to the pot
- Cut around the stem of the cabbage to peel the leaves DON'T PEEL YET (Follow the video on how to cut the cabbage)
- Microwave the cabbage in 1 minute increments until the leaves peel off without breaking.
- Add about a a handful of the meat mixture and place at the bottom of the cabbage leaf and roll
- Using a toothpick, pin the cabbage leaf closed and add to the pot.
- Add all cabbage rolls into the pot and bring to a boil.
- Add the remaining ground beef, fresh diced tomatoes, left over cabbage (diced), and seasoning into the pot.
- Reduce and simmer.
- Cover and cook for around 3 hours. Periodically turn the cabbage rolls