Butter Chicken (or Murgh Makhani) is one of the most popular and best known Indian dishes around the world. You can easily find many different recipe versions and variations to Butter Chicken. This version of Butter Chicken is easy to make and quite mild, however it emphasizes the fragrance and taste of the spices as they come together with the cream, yoghurt and tomato puree to create a beautiful intense sauce. Served with rice is a great option to soak up the sauce and create a wonderful dish.
• 2 tbsp Peanut Oil
• 1 kg Chicken Fillets use thigh fillets
• 60 g Butter
• 2 tbsp Garam Masala
• 2 tsp Ground Paprika
• 2 tsp Ground Coriander
• 1 tbsp Ground Ginger
• 1/4 tsp Ground Chilli add extra to preference
• 1 Cinnamon Stick
• 6 Cardamom Pods bruised
• 400 g Diced Tomatoes
• 1 tbsp Sugar
• 1/4 cup Yoghurt plain
• 1/2 cup Thickened Cream
• 1 tbsp Lemon Juice
1. Heat wok on high heat and add 1 tbsp peanut oil
2. Add half the chicken and stir fry until browned (about 4-5 minutes). Remove from wok
3. Add extra oil and cook remaining chicken. Remove from wok
4. Reduce heat to medium and add butter and stir until melted.
5. Add garam masala, paprika, coriander, ginger, chilli powder, cinnamon stick and cardamom pods. Stir-fry for about 1 minute until fragrant.
6. Return chicken to the wok and stir to coat in the spices.
7. Add diced tomatoes and sugar to the wok and while stirring, simmer for about 15 minutes. Cook until chicken is tender and sauce has thickened.
8. Stir in yoghurt, cream and lemon juice and simmer for a further 5 minutes, or until sauce has thickened slightly.
9. Serve with Long Grain Rice. Alternately serve with poppadoms or naan.
For pictures & more follow the link below: