Bighorn Sheep Meat Pie
Substitute ground elk, venison or antelope meat.
- 1 1/2 pounds ground sheep
- 1 medium yellow onion, chopped
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 2 cups carrots, chopped
- 2 cups zucchini, chopped
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 2 tablespoons fresh tarragon, chopped
- 3 parsnips, peeled and chopped
- 3 yukon gold potatoes, peeled and chopped
- 1 cup sour cream
- 1 cup shredded white cheddar cheese blend
- 1 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1 teaspoon black pepper
- 2 Puffed Pastries (defrosted)
- 1 egg yolk beaten with 1 tablespoon water
- Boil chopped parsnips and potatoes until soft about 20 minutes. When ready, drain and mash with a potato masher. Stir in sour cream and set aside.
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees.
- Heat a large skillet over medium heat and brown ground sheep until cooked. Remove and set aside in a large bowl.
- Add butter to skillet and cook onions, zucchini, carrots and garlic until onions are soft and transparent. Stir in fresh chopped tarragon and season with salt and pepper. Remove vegetables and add to the cooked meat. Stir in shredded cheese.
- On a floured surface, roll out the pastry sheets to be larger than the size of your baking dish. Place one pastry sheet in the bottom of the baking dish. Transfer meat and vegetables into the dish and top with the mashed parsnips and potatoes. Brush the outer edge of the bottom pastry sheet with egg wash. Place the second pastry sheet on the top and press the edges of the pastry sheets together. Brush top of the pastry sheet with remaining egg wash and season with salt and pepper. Cut an ‘X’ into the top of the pastry to allow for the steam to be released.
- Bake for approximately 45 minutes or until crust is browned. If needed, cover with foil so not to burn.
Serve with a fresh green salad and enjoy!
This Recipe Is Published [Here] ( www.nevadafoodies.com/bighorn-sheep-meat-pie)