French Almond & Hazelnut Praline (plus praline paste)
Praline is basically candied nuts and praline paste is basically a nut butter but with a lot of added sugar…so it's yummier…Does anyone have any recipes they've used praline paste in?
1 cup white sugar
4 oz almonds
4 oz hazelnuts
¼ cup water
1/8 tsp cream of tartar
1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
2. Place two pieces of tin foil on a sheet pan. On one piece add the almonds, on the second piece add the hazelnuts.
3. Roast nuts for 12-15 minutes. Stir every 5 minutes.
4. Line a second sheet pan with parchment paper. Spread roasted almonds on it.
5. On a clean towel, add the hot roasted hazelnuts and wrap them in the towel. Let them steam for 10 minutes.
6. Rub hazelnuts between the towel for a couple minutes so the loose skin comes off. It’s ok if not all the skin comes off.
7. Add hazelnuts to roasted almonds on sheet pan. Set aside.
8. Dissolve cream of tartar in water (cream of tartar helps curb crystallization in sugar).
9. Add sugar and water to a nonstick pan. Stir to dissolve most of the sugar.
10. Turn heat on to medium and let the sugar come to a boil.
11. WITHOUT STIRRING, let sugar cook until dark brown, but not black(!!) – 7 to 8 minutes (stirring will crystalize the sugar).
12. Immediately pour caramel over roasted nuts.*
13. Let cool completely. Break into small pieces and enjoy.
1. Add praline chunks to a zip lock bag and further crush them with a jar or rolling pin (to avoid extra damage to food processor blades).
2. Add chunks to a food processor and blend until nuts begin releasing their oils and the mixture is smooth. You may need to transfer mixture to a blender for an even finer grind (paste will still remain slightly grainy).
3. Store in airtight container at room temp for a few months.
You can treat praline paste the same as you would peanut butter. Mix it in cookie dough, cake batter, frosting, buttercream, etc.; or eat it with pretzels, popcorn, crepes, waffles, etc. Make sure to use less sugar in anything you mix this in as it is already sweet.
*NOTE: If bits of caramel get stuck to your pan after you dump it on the nuts, add some water to pan and bring to boil. The sugar should dissolve.