Gorgonzola Cheddar Shells with Kale and Bacon
- 1/2 large bunch of kale
- 1 tbsp. salt
- 1 lb. medium shell pasta
- 7 slices bacon
- 3 tbsp. butter
- 1/4 c. flour
- 2 1/2 c. milk
- 2 1/2 c. extra sharp cheddar
- 5 oz. gorgonzola, crumbled
- 1/4 cup bread crumbs (optional)
- Preheat oven to 350F.
- Rinse and chop kale into 1-inch pieces, put in colander and set in sink.
- Heat a large pot of water in a pasta pot to boiling, add 1 tbsp. salt. Cook pasta to al dente. When pasta is done, pour into colander with kale in it to parboil the kale while draining the pasta. Stir together and leave in colander.
- Cook bacon in skillet and set aside on paper towels. Drain most of the bacon grease out and let bacon cool. In the same skillet, add butter.
- Sprinkle flour over butter and whisk together, let bubble for 2 minutes. Whisk in milk.
- Bring to a boil, then simmer for 3 minutes until thickened.
- Reduce heat to low, stir in all of the blue cheese and 2 cups of cheddar. Stir until melted.
- Crumble the bacon into bits by crumpling paper towels into a ball. Repeat until all bacon is crumbled.
- Pour the pasta and kale mixture into the cheese sauce and add bacon. (I added my pasta and kale in two batches so it didn't get too messy). Spoon into 13×9 casserole dish and mix thoroughly.
- Sprinkle a thin layer of breadcrumbs (if desired) and the remaining 1/2 cup of cheddar on top.
- Bake for 15 minutes, then broil for 2 minutes, just until browned. Watch carefully so it does not burn.
See blog for step-by-step photos: Delicious Dilemmas