**Red Red (African Stewed Black-eyed peas)** A hearty tasty and no fuss vegetarian black-eyed peas stewed beans- African Style
- 4 -14.5 ounce canned beans or 1 pound dried beans
- ½ – ¾ cup palm oil or Canola oil
- 1 medium Onions
- 1 Tablespoon ginger
- ½ tablespoon garlic
- 2 Tomatoes
- 2 Tablespoons tomato paste
- 1 Tablespoon paprika
- • ⅓ cup crayfish (optional)
- • 2 cups – 3 cups stock/ water
- • 1-tablespoon bouillon powder, vegetarian, chicken (optional)
- 2-3 green onions chopped
- Salt and pepper as needed
- 1 habanero pepper or sub with hot pepper or sauce (optional)
- Rinse dry black-eyed pea beans and pick through and discard any foreign
object. (I did not have to do this because I used the package beans,).
Add beans to a large pot covering with 3-4 inches of cold water.
Cover and let sit overnight or 6 to 8 hours
Drain the soaked beans, rinse, and place the beans in a Dutch oven or
Follow instructions for cooking beans in your pressure cooker. It takes roughly
between 8 to 12 minutes to cook. If not using a pressure cook, cook the beans
for about 50- 60 mins or until tender
Drain the cooked beans and set aside
If using canned beans you should start from here.
Heat oil (palm and canola) in large saucepan over medium heat until hot.
Sauté the onions in the oil for 3-4 minutes, stirring often and scraping any
browned bits off the bottom of the pot.
Add tomatoes, ginger, garlic, paprika and bouillon powder/ cubes. Cook while
stirring for about 60 seconds,
Through in the Cray fish and let it simmer, for about 10-15 minutes, add water/
stock if needed to prevent burns. Continue to cook the sauce, stirring occasionally
Finally add the beans, green onions and the remaining stock/water and bring
to a boil and simmer for another 10-15 minutes.
Adjust for seasonings, and beans consistency with water and serve.
This Recipe Is Published Here