**Berenjena Guisada con Cerdo (Braised Pork and Eggplant)** A delicious, curry-like dish that is very popular in the Dominican Republic
- 1 lb [0.48 kg] of pork cut into small pieces (blade chops or any cut for braising)
- 1½ teaspoon of salt (or more to taste), divided
- ½ teaspoon of pepper (or more to taste), divided
- 3 tablespoons of oil (peanut, soy or corn)
- 2 cups of water (you may need less or more)
- 1 large carrot, cubed
- 1 large onion, cubed
- 2 lb [0.9 kg] of eggplant cut into small pieces
- 1 bell pepper, diced
- 3 cups of plum tomatoes, diced
- ½ teaspoon of fresh oregano leaves
- 3 cloves of garlic, crushed
- ½ Scotch bonnet pepper, chopped (optional, see notes)
Season pork with a teaspoon of salt and a pinch of pepper. Heat oil in
a skillet over medium heat.
Add pork and brown. Add 3 tablespoons of water and simmer covered
over low heat. Simmer for 25 minutes, stirring and adding water by
tablespoons as it becomes necessary to prevent it from burning or
sticking to the bottom.
Stir in the carrots and simmer some more until the meat is tender
(10 to 20 mins), adding water as it becomes necessary so the meat does not burn.
Let all the liquid evaporate. Add the onions, cook stirring until the onions
become transparent. Stir in eggplant, bell pepper, tomato, oregano, garlic
and Scotch bonnet pepper. Add 3 tablespoon of water and simmer covered
over low heat until the vegetables are cooked through. Stir and add water
as it becomes necessary (there should be some sauce in it).
Season with salt and pepper to taste.
Serve with white rice and salad or avocado.
This Recipe Is Published Here